Friday, February 1, 2008

Onion Chutney




My mom makes this onion chutney, without which I would never eat Dosha. She would make the usual coconut chutney for the entire family an this onion chutney only for me.

When I started living away from her I tried making this same chutney.But I have never been able to get the same taste as she makes it. I guess it holds true for all of us, however hard we may try, recreating the same magic thats in our mother's hand, things never taste the same!

When I came across the ingredient for this month's JFI , onion I decided that its time that this Chutney should find its place in my Blog.
Ingredients
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 Tbsp Red chilli powder (can be increased or decreased as per hotness desired)
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp cooking oil

In a heated skillet put the chopped onions. Do not put any oil since we want the water to evaporate from the onions. Keep on stirring it at regular intervals. When the onions turn golden and start showing signs of wilting, add the chilli powder. Stir it further for 3-4 mins. Now add the cooking oil and saute it for 3-4 mins. The chilli powder and the onions should be well sauted. Remove from flame and grind it along with salt in the mixie to a rough consistency and not to to a paste. To the chutney now add coconut oil for flavour.
Simple isn't it? And believe me if you have liking for things that are spicy and hot...this one is for you.
This would be my entry for Jihva For Ingredients and for the Monthly Mingle -Comfort foods

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds really lovely. I love onions!

Shella said...

I love this chutney. It is one of my favorite.

k said...

Thanks Meeta and Shella for dropping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails