Weekend breakfasts are the high point for me. Me and A both have not one but 2 sweet teeth, love to have something sweet on sundays(and whenever in the week if its possible!). Therefore I love making Sooji ka halwa on sundays as an add on. These days I make it in Microwave.
The following recipe will easily serve 4 people.
3/4 cup of Sooji (semolina)
5-6 Tbsp of Sugar (or as per taste)
3 Tbsp of Ghee (clarified Butter)
Handful Raisins, cashews
2 Cups of Water
- Heat the Sooji in a bowl/broad dish in Microwave at 450 for 8 mins. Stir in between at 2 - 2.5 mins.
- Take it out and add the 2 Tbsp ghee (save some for later). Mix well and heat it again at 450 for 3 mins. Stir at every 1 min. Be careful not to let it burn. If not stirred regularly the sooji at the bottom and the edges will burn.
- Take it out.It should be golden brown by this time.
- Add 2 cups of water ,sugar and clove. Mix well.
- Keep the mix in Microwave for at max power till the water dries off and the mix is soft (usually it will take 8-10 mins). Take it out
- Roast the raisins,cashews (preferably seperately one by one) in 1 Tbsp ghee in a MW safe dish for 15secs-30secs at max power(900 for me). They should turn light brown.I prefer to do this part on stove since the raisins sometimes turn sour and hard in MW.
- Add the raisins/cashews to the Sooji Halwa, mix and serve it hot.